FOSSASIA (http://fossasia.org) is a non-profit organization supporting developers and makers of Free and Open Source technologies. It was founded in 2009 by Hong Phuc Dang and Mario Behling. The aim of FOSSASIA is to develop and adapt open technologies for social change with a focus on Asian users. The FOSSASIA Summit takes place annually one month after the Lunar New Year. Projects at FOSSASIA range from open hardware, to design, graphics and software. FOSSASIA offers resources to various open-source projects and organizes an annual Open Technology Summit for students, developers and start ups.
I was introduced to FOSSASIA(FOSSASIA) in GCI 2k16. I was browsing for the organisations, I saw the FOSSASIA organisation . The organisation had a bit different concept than others. The tasks were a bit different and seemed to be amazing. As I was browsing I saw that the mentors were also awesome. The mentors helped the candidates trough various sites (i.e Slack,IRC channel and the mailing List).
My first task with FOSSASIA
The very first task of mine with FOSSASIA was “Git: Learn how to create a fork of FOSSASIA repositories” . The tasks seemed to be a bit hard but was made easy with help of the amazing mentors of FOSSASIA. I contacted the mentors through SLACK to which they replied politely and I was able to do the task easily.
ARTICLES THAT I LIKE
There are a bunch of FOSSASIS’s articles that I like the the main are:
- The main the FOSSASIA’s main site: FOSSASIA (http://fossasia.org)
As the site deals with all the Mentors, Contributors and the students with their bio which is amazing.
2. The Github account of FOSSASIA (Github FOSSASIA (https://github.com/fossasia)) which has a numerous number of amazing repositories which help the students to do their tasks enormously.And there is a list of amazing people working with the organisation.
The Repositories that I like of FOSSASIA
There are a number of repositories of FOSSASIA that I like but the three main are:
1. gci16.fossasia.org(https://github.com/fossasia/gci16.fossasia.org) – I like this repository because it keeps the data of each and every member of FOSSASIA and also has the guide to how to do the task and what all to do.
2. fossasia.org (https://github.com/fossasia/fossasia.org)- It deals with the introduction of FOSSASIA which help the people to understannd it more efficiently .
- based on lubuntu
- light weight
The three FOSSASIA Projects that I am Interested in
1. FLAPPY-SVG (https://github.com/fossasia/flappy-svg)
2. LOKLAK_SEARCH (https://github.com/fossasia/loklak_search)
At the end I just want to conclude that FOSSASIA is one of the best Opensource organisation that I’ve ever worked with and is the best in mentoring the students.